Social Value for Tenders in the UK
Tsaks Consulting’s tender professionals in the UK have a deep understanding of government regulations, paying close attention to details of any changes to regulations or policies associated with the tendering process in the UK.
One new policy states that public procurement contracts must undergo a mandatory scoring of their social value. Since June 2022, it is now a requirement that all tenders include a 10% minimum of total award criteria to social value. Businesses that are required to commit this 10% are those providing service contracts valued over £123,000, and construction contracts over £4.7 million. With a possible increase to 20% in June 2023.
What is social value
Social value is the social, economic, and environmental benefit brought to a community or local area through the ethical and environmental factors resulting from tendering.
The Public Service Act details the need for businesses to provide social value commitments in their tender proposals.
There are three main areas of social value, including:
- Providing apprenticeships, employment, and training to locals
- Work experience for local students
- Employing people with disabilities and other disadvantaged persons from the local area
- Utilising local businesses in your services
- Promoting local heritage and environment through sustainable practices
- Funding charities and projects in the local area
- Improving the life of homeless persons and disadvantaged locals
- Improving crime and poverty rates in the local area
- Lowering usage of waste
- Promotion of recycling in the local area
- Lowering the carbon footprint
- Having an ethical supply chain
Evaluating social value
Authorities in the local sector, as well as local councils will have varying methods of evaluating social value in a tender. The preferred system to calculate social value is Themes, Outcomes and Measures (TOMs).
you will need to detail your commitment to social value in your tender, what you plan to achieve, backed up with facts and statistics.
Some themes you could target include:
- Commitment to employing young offenders and offering career advancement
- A specific amount donated to a local charity
- Supporting and encouraging tree planting throughout the local area
- Career days in schools and colleges in the local area
Importance of social value questions in UK tender submissions
Depending on the sector you are submitting tenders for, your answers to social value questions can differ according to the industry or area. Clearly stating your social value goals and commitments will give you an advantage when evaluators are looking for a supplier that will address their social value needs.
Ensure your social value commitments are suited to the contract you are tendering for, and you are not just answering the questions as part of the process. Part of the evaluators job is to assess whether you can commit to your goals. Not only is overstating your social value commitments harmful for your tender, but it can harm future tender submissions in the UK.
Getting support with your social value commitment
Tsaks Consulting understands the many problems companies face with the relatively new social value rules regarding tenders in the UK. If you are finding it difficult and need assistance, our expert team of tender writers in the UK can assist you in writing a tender winning social value commitment.